Main Gallery Classes Contact


Click on any of the photographs to enlarge them.

July 5

This year we had 10 people on the trip. We were divided into three cars, so while we stayed at the same hotels and did some planned activities together, each group had different adventures and stopped at different quilt shops. My group ended up traveling 1310 miles in the ten days we were there!

This picture was taken in front of the roots of a fallen redwood tree in California:

Barbara, Robin, Beverly, Karen, Chris C, Judy, Rose, Marian, Paula, and Chris P.
We flew to Oregon early on July 5th, got the rental cars, and met at Best Western Pony Soldiers Inn in Portland. We stocked up on supplies at Fred Meyers which is like Target on steroids and then to Fabric Depot which is a large quilt store nearby.

One recurring theme on our trip was of course quilts, but a secondary theme soon developed – trees. Because we traveled through different landscapes, we saw a huge variety of trees. There were lodgepole pines, ponderosa pines, and certainly redwoods. We also saw trees with twisted trunks that were bright red called madrones. But the one that really could spark your imagination is this one that Paula named The Dancing Tree.

July 6

There was a lot to see. Among the places that different groups saw were the Vista Point lookout along the Columbia River,

waterfalls that included Latourell Falls where we walked to the base of the falls, Wahkeena Falls where we hiked to the bridge about halfway up the falls and stood in the mist, and Multnomah Falls where we also hiked up to the bridge and then went to the upstairs restaurant at the Visitors’ Center to eat – I love the moss on the trees and the ceiling in the restaurant,

a fish hatchery, and Bonneville Dam.

Turning south away from the Columbia River there was Panorama Point which had a wonderful view of Mount Hood and the farming area known as the Fruit Loop because of all the orchards located there.

Some of us went to an alpaca farm, and a lavender farm and had lunch at a BBQ restaurant before heading out on a long drive to Bend where we would be staying for three nights as Cascade Lodge.

July 7

Today Paula took a class in the high school at Sisters with Rob Appell which she really enjoyed. We stayed at the high school to see the framed fabric postcards that had been made by the teachers of the quilt classes there. These were being offered through a silent auction for the local charities. The postcards were so beautifully designed and made. The average price was about $350. None of us made a bid!

Next we went to the Stitch’in Post which is the local quilt store that started this quilt show 42 years ago. We had gotten tickets for the quilt show and lunch at Black Butte Lodge which is about 7 miles west of Sisters. Lovely experience – good lunch.

Back to Sisters to look around the town before it filled up on Saturday. The quilts hanging in the Town Hall are amazing. A group of quilters made a series of panels to show a river coming from the mountains and through the forest. Each panel shows the quilter’s unique methods and techniques.

This quilt was also at the Town Hall.

Back to the high school for dinner and then a program presented by Joe Cunningham. He is an unusual quilter who uses a lot of bias tape to make his designs. He likes to take a traditional pattern and do his own interpretation of it. This quilt is called Lover’s Knot. One side represents him and the other side represents his wife. He wouldn’t say which was which but we have our suspicions. Ask anyone who was on the trip about his song “Make Me a Quilt”.

July 8

Quilt Show Day – This is a one day, outdoor quilt show. The town is covered with quilts. We found my three. The Eagle quilt had been hung with the eagle facing the wall (!!!!) but we fixed it. Sadly none of my quilts sold this year, but I have since sold the Butterfly Quilt.

I took pictures of a lot of the quilts – you may see that I favor the landscape quilts. There is a picture of Karen and Chris standing next to a quilt of Crater Lake where we were heading the next day.

July 9

We left early to drive to Crater Lake. Yes, the water really is that blue! We all went on a trolley ride around the rim with a wonderful park ranger, Margaret, who was very informative. We could not go around the entire rim because snow was still blocking the road on the far side. There was snow remaining on the fields around the mountain as well as on the rim. They had had a total of 48 feet of snow last winter.

This is Marion, Robin, Beverly, and Chris P.

We stayed at Riverside Inn in Grants Pass. The balconies of our room faced the Rogue River which was lovely.

To go to a nearby restaurant,Taprock, we followed a path under the nearby road, passed where jet boats were unloading, then along a path marked with unusual bears and gardens. Lovely and delicious!

July 10

This was our day to see the redwood trees in northern California. We tried to go to Stout Grove, but after we had headed down the gravel road to get there, we found that the road was closed. The RV and the cars ahead of us were in the process of trying to turn around on the narrow road that had deep ditches on the side. Luckily one of the cars behind us was being driven by a man from Texas who got out of his car and directed us in slowly getting our cars turned around. Without him we’d probably still be there.

Instead we continued toward the coast to the grove that was, years ago, my first walk through the redwoods – the Simpson-Reed Grove. It is still my favorite trail. We tried holding hands around one of the smaller trees – it worked.

We stopped in Crescent City at the Good Harvest Cafe for lunch which is where I saw this beautiful vase!

Some of us continued south to the Prairie Creek Trail to see more redwoods and some went to Trees of Mystery, where there are statues of Paul Bunyan and his Big Blue Ox.

We stayed in at the Pacific Reef Hotel in Gold Beach. We all got rooms with balconies facing the ocean. Just after sunset they showed a movie out in the yard about the coast of southern Oregon. It was interesting with the last of the sunset still showing in the sky over the beach.

These pictures were taken of the beach early the next morning.

July 11

This was our day to travel 80 miles on a jet boat on the Rogue River. What an experience! While waiting in line on the dock to board our boat, we were entertained by a dog that would push a large, somewhat flat rock up to someone in line. That person was supposed to push the rock away. If it was not far enough in the dog’s point of view it would put its mouth down on the edge of the rock and stare at you until you pushed it further. When the rock was judged to be far enough away from the line of people, the dog put its front paws on the rock and “skateboarded it” back to a different person. Great entertainment while waiting!

Our captain was well informed and entertaining. Those are harbor seals in front of our boat. He stopped often to point out wildlife. Quite a few times he sent the boat in a backward turn that threw water onto us. The cool water felt good. We had to put on life vests for the upper part of the river because we were going through some rapids.

Lunch was on a covered terrace on a bluff overlooking the river. Then it was back downstream with a few more cooling turns thrown in. Everyone really enjoyed this excursion. That is our boat coming back for us after lunch.

We then headed north to end up in Bandon where we had rooms at Bandon Beach Hotel which is located on top of bluffs overlooking the beach. There are 103 steps leading down to the beach which offered a great place to walk at low tide the next morning.

July 12

This was a day to explore along the coast. One of the groups had car trouble and had to wait for a replacement car that didn’t come until 2:30 PM. They are now the experts on the shops and restaurants in Bandon’s Old Town. They found a museum that was exhibiting art made from the trash washed ashore along the beach.

Each group did different things that day. Quilt shops of course – we found bead shops too and some beautiful beaches. One group had great luck going to an elk viewing area in Reedsport.

As we drove through the seaside town of Newport, we noticed a sign for Rt 20 which surprised us.

Some of us had dinner at a really pretty restaurant named Wildflower Grille. Can you see the blue heron in the pond behind Wildflower?

We stayed at Landmark Inn in Lincoln City. I love walking the beach there. I wanted to see the waves crashing in but – you guessed it – low tide again.

July 13

Back to the beach again. Captain Dan’s Pirate Bakery was open – YES – so we were able to get some of the delicious turnovers to eat later. I always look forward to that. Leaving Lincoln City we stopped at the Connie Hanson Garden, a beautifully done garden in the middle of a residential area. It was planted on a reclaimed swamp area.

Rather than stay on Rt 101 we turned west at Pacific City to stay nearer the coast. Cape Meares was our destination. It is a bit of a hike down to the lighthouse and back but the views of the beach are worth it.

We headed inland and back to Rt 101 to Tillamook for lunch. This area is famous for their cheese. Some of ate at the Tillamook Cheese Factory and some of us at the Blue Heron.
We stopped at quilt shops of course – see what you can do with selvages?

and then to Cannon Beach where people actually are on the beach having fun. The other beaches we saw further south have very cold ocean water and very few people on the beach. At Cannon Beach is Haystack Rock which is the third largest intertidal monolith in the world.

We stayed just outside of Astoria overlooking the Columbia River. There is a beautiful view of the sunset from the balcony and deck outside our rooms.

July 14

Today we left the coast and headed east into Portland. We had a nice breakfast at the Berry Patch restaurant and checked out a couple of quilt shops. Our goals were the Rose and the Japanese Gardens in Portland. Parking was a problem and one of the groups missed this experience. Both gardens are amazing. The Japanese Garden has recently added some buildings to make a more complete Japanese experience.

One last dinner together and early to bed. Barbara and Rose stayed an extra day so they went to the Bonneville Dam and to Powell’s Bookstore which is one of the largest in the world.

July 15

We had an early flight out of Portland. Thanks to the jet stream we made it to Midway/Chicago in 3 ½ hours. It was good to get home and stop living out of suitcases!

Thank you to the travelers who shared some of their photographs with me for my web site!